Oh no, not again!

The Rubber Chicken having his revenge was so improbable that he was turned into a bowl of lemons wrapped around a large gold brick. Afterwards, when being interviewed by the Leopard, he was heard to say, "Oh no, not again!"

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Mental Exercises.

Here is something for the Wordsmiths out there...

When I get bored with life in general, I like to set myself a task to complete. It is usually a meaningless task, for these tasks are well and truly final once you complete them (does that make sense) but to be useful they need to provide some form of mental exercise, which for me normally involves memory or logic.

I cannot remember how many times I used to sit and try to write out the States of America and their Capitals while waiting for people (sorry, a person) who had a habit of becoming delayed (apologies, old friend, if you stumble accross this page). This was not a simple task - I've never been to the USA. Plus the fact I really don't know any Americans either... so you get the idea: useless task.

Well, here's one I just set myself. My godmother, that for a reason whose details I'm a little hazy on, we call Libbet - is a bit of a wordsmith. Her father (I think it was her father) apparently used to quote this speel 'the English alphabet' and she once tried to recite it to me. After we finally worked it all out... OK, that itself is irrelevant... I now set myself the task of trying to remember it...

Oh and, if you don't understand the joke here... please think for a few minutes before asking. It is rather 'Brittish' humour...

The English Alphabet.

A for Horses
B for Mutton
C for Yourself (notice the change)
D for Rential
E for Adam
F for Vescence
G for Police
H for Retirement
I for An eye
J for Orange
K for Restaurant
L for Leather
M for Size
N for A penny
O for There
P for Relief
Q for A ticket
R for Mo
S for You
T for Two
U for Mism
V for L'Amour
W for Quits
X for Breakfast
Y for Goodness Sake
Z for Breezes

There you go. Done. Only missed the H for Retirement first time through... not bad at all.

OK. Brain is now exercised. Body was exercised by cycling to and from Kilmore today (30k round trip overland) Time for some sleep I think.

May your chickens be extra good 'P' if you get my drift.

9 Comments:

At October 7, 2004 at 11:29 AM, Blogger Lioness said...

I am still chewing on C, G, J, K, L and Z (should this one be a "Zed". If it's Z, it's clear. Either that or I came up with a new one!) I'll chew some more.

 
At October 7, 2004 at 11:30 AM, Blogger Lioness said...

Just got G!

 
At October 7, 2004 at 11:32 AM, Blogger Beleobus said...

You mean to say you have not had the pleasure of a JAFFA ORANGE? I might also assume you have never gone HELL FOR LEATHER when rather determined?

You almost need to put on a cockney accent to obtain full effect. But I guess that's why it is called the English Alphabet.

 
At October 7, 2004 at 2:16 PM, Blogger lilybee said...

Oh, God, not the old tomayto, tomarto, bit. It takes a while to work out if it is for, fer, or even fu. My mother was a bit like that, the verbal gymnastics, and she was a pom as well, drove me crazy in my younger days with maisydotes and goesydotes and ... well, we know how that ends.

 
At October 8, 2004 at 10:30 AM, Blogger Lioness said...

Alright, tell me C and K bcs I cannot fathom what the hell they're supposed to mean! Please!!!

 
At October 8, 2004 at 11:07 PM, Blogger Beleobus said...

OK - after some thought, I have changed C.

You could also probably change E: E for Brick.

Z for Light Breezes (perhaps?)

 
At October 9, 2004 at 5:59 AM, Blogger Lioness said...

Ok, C all done, why did you change E, I was fine with E, and is Z a "zee" or a "zaid", K is what??? (And thanks.)

 
At October 9, 2004 at 10:44 AM, Blogger Beleobus said...

You are most welcome. E was not actually changed, just an alternative suggestion.

Kaffir Restaurant - I assume you're not familiar with the term. Hmmm... will have to think of an alternative there too perhaps.

Anyhow, how would you like to be Jiblets' campaign manager? He's looking for one.

 
At October 10, 2004 at 12:07 AM, Blogger Lioness said...

I meant thanks for the comment on my post - your making this blog foreign-friendly is your duty after all, especially considering my unwavering loyalty.

I didn't know the term kaffir restaurant but i know of kaffir. Google isn't helping other than to let me know there are LOADS of k.r. in Leicester. ???

I would LOVE to be campaign manager. Tell me what you need, happy to help take poultry to new heights.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home